Whether you’re looking to sell your home or keep up with the latest interior design trends, redecorating a room is an ideal way to refresh your home. But you may wonder, how often should I redecorate?
Here’s what the experts recommend about the frequency of redecorating, as well as what to consider when selling your home.
Designers Say: Redecorate Every Four Years
Most interior design experts recommend redecorating some component of each room every four years. This allows you to make a graceful transition based on new style trends and the latest technologies, like digital assistants and home automation capabilities.
Any longer than four years could result in radical differences in your own life and in the world around you. For example, after more than four years, your child’s room may need to be re-designed for a teenager. Maybe the room where you eat most family meals has changed. Whenever you notice lifestyle or habit shifts, consider redecorating a space to accommodate those changes.
Five Style Change Ideas
Remember — you don’t have to change everything when you redecorate! There are no hard and fast rules, and you have a world of options at your fingertips. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- New bedding
- New furniture or decor pieces
- Painting an entire room
- Creating an accent wall
- Choosing a new color scheme
Four Redecorating Tips When Selling Your Home
If you are planning to stay in your home for the next few years, you should redecorate for you. If you are looking to sell, your redecoration efforts should be with the potential buyers in mind. Start with these four tips:
- Eliminate clutter: A home that looks neat and organized usually sells faster.
- Repaint: Consider vibrant, brighter, more inviting colors.
- Install new cupboards: Potential buyers often inspect these for quality. Make sure the dishes inside are neatly organized!
- Hire a home stager: A professional can help you with strategies on how to set up a home to sell.